Tis the Season

Tis the season for gifts to loved ones and what better to share than my artistic ability?  I'm blessed with many long time friends.  Some of those friends have been able to support my art by purchasing more than a few paintings, so for them, I wanted to do something special.  I consider a portrait of a grandchild to be memorable, so that has been my gift.  As I've stated in another post, I think my portraits are informal, but I've completely enjoyed improving my painting skills as I create each new one.

 

Silas offered his unique share of challenges as each painting does.  I started over completely two to three times because of the size of his head.  He's a big boy!  The angle of his head in several tries made it look bigger and distorted, so I couldn't have that because he is a great looking child.  Facial proportions are distinctive in each individual, but generally the same.  Eyes are usually as far apart as they are wide....had to correct that error.  The eyes, nose, and mouth corners are parallel and his nose did not meet that criteria, so another adjustment.  My friend loves clear colors, so the background was a special request, but I had to make it fit the painting.  There are always many decisions and choices to make for a piece of art, some being easy and others more difficult.

 

Off now to work on two more portraits that I would love to complete by Christmas, but getting them to a standard that I can live with is more important.  What special occasion or person in your life calls for an original piece of art?  Plan ahead because the artist needs time to deliver a wonderful product for that special time in a loved ones life.

Read Full Post


Two of Us

I love a painting challenge!  Painting people and faces is one of those challenges that I accept occasionally and especially for loyal clients and friends.  These are the people who appreciate what I can do and are patient with my attempts.  I consider my portraits to be informal ones and enjoy trying to capture a likeness and hopefully some of the spirit of the subject.

 

Two of Us is one of my latest paintings and an example of my figurative work.  These figures are two brothers who enjoy each others company.  One is more reserved and one more outgoing....I'll let you guess who is who!  The recipients of the portrait requested the color scheme and size, so that decision was easy.

 

What are some of the other challenges that painting people present?  Am I drawing from life or a photo?  Do I know the subject and understand a little of their personality?  Is the photograph taken with a painting in mind or did a photographer use several light sources which flattens the form?  Is there one light source or at least not too many?  What is the temperature of the light and does that agree with the client's ideas?  What are the true skin and hair tones?  Are the expressions pleasant?  Do the outfits suit the vision for the painting? Consider the setting and what type of background is needed.  These are just a few of the issues, but I think you're beginning to understand.

 

Some extremely talented and skilled artists who paint figures all of the time can turn a head or body and put two or more bodies together without too much information.  Most artists I know, including myself, needs good reference material, either live or photographic.  The better the material, the more successful the results.  I sometimes think non artists believe I'm a magician, but I'm not.

 

Two of Us will be enjoyed by some special grandparents for a long time and hopefully by the subjects and their parents too.  Original  art is a true gift from the heart and one like no other.  Who can you gift with an original painting for that special occasion or just because you love them?

 

 

 

 

 

Read Full Post